With so few homes on the market to buy, many buyers are opting to build. There is a study that shows what everyone is getting in their new homes. If you are looking to sell your home quickly, these might be some updates that you should do.
Here are some of the least likely features that builders say they will include in new homes this year (don’t do these to sell quicker):
- Outdoor kitchen (cooking, refrigeration, and sink)
- Laminate countertops in kitchen
- Outdoor fireplace
- Two-story family room
- Media room
- Two-story foyer
- Walking/jogging trails in community
- Whirlpool in master bathroom
- Carpeting as flooring on main level
On the other hand, these home features, builders say, are most likely to be included in a new home this year (do these to sell quicker):
- Walk-in closet in master bedroom
- Laundry room
- Low-e windows
- Guest room (kitchen-family-room-living room)
- Energy-star rated appliances
- 9-foot ceiling or more on first floor
- Energy-star rated windows
- Programmable thermostat
- Two-car garage
- Granite countertop in kitchen
So if you are looking to fix your home or flip a home stay away from the outdoor kitchen and laminate countertops, while energy efficiency and bigger closets are where you should put your money, according to a survey from the National Association of Home Builders. Builders were asked to rank home features from 1 to 5 on how likely they were to include them this year in single-family homes they build this year.
Interesting enough, the list of top 10 all went up from 2012 to 2015 but were already rated very high on the list. It is safe to say if you incorporate these things into your home it will sell easier, even years down the road.